Sunday, April 14, 2013

Moonshine... Just Kidding (PART TWO)

If you've been following, you know I'm growing a little something in my kitchen... Details Here.

As promised... some updates!!  I promise it is totally not as gross as it looks.  Although, I admit, there is a bit of grossness involved. (My mom stopped in this weekend, and she thinks I'm a little crazy... but she's intrigued.)


So that's the little SCOBY, about a 1/4 inch thick.  It grew nicely across the surface of my starter tea. 


The first time I touched it, I had no idea what to expect.  It is actually VERY firm and rubbery... like... well... rubber.  The best thing I can associate it with is a floppy Frisbee disc you might give your dog.


Thank GOD it's not slimy and slippery... I could NOT handle that.  Ok, let's be honest, this is how we're all feeling right now... (see face below)...


AAHH!  Alien being!!


It goes without saying (I hope) that we handled the SCOBY with extremely clean hands.

Before adding the additional tea that will ultimately become our bottled Kombucha, we slipped the little buddy back in there.  He sank.  Which, for some strange reason, I found very reassuring. If it was all floaty and weird, I feel like I wouldn't really believe it was safe.

Something else I learned.... we have some red wine that's gone sour. I wanted to make vinegar.  So I did some research about whether or not I can use a Kombucha SCOBY to turn the wine into vinegar.  Apparently the answer is "Not really."  You are supposed to have a "Mother of Vinegar" which apparently has some different enzymes. So, yeah, now you know.

Cheers,
The KawaMama

No comments:

Post a Comment