Thursday, October 18, 2012

Strong is What You Have Left...




Labor & Delivery is about mental power.

People like to compare Labor & Delivery to running a marathon.

My husband is a marathoner who trained competitively with Olympic level athletes.  He's good.  He's real good.  He says the last 3 miles of those 26, the only thing that keeps you putting one foot in front of the other is the knowledge that you're one more desperate step closer to the end.

I asked him, "What if there was someone next to you the whole time holding a magic pill that would take away all the exhaustion and let you finish without the agony... and it was totally ok, totally acceptable, no shame, no judgement, just part of the game, par for the course... would you take it?"

I want to labor naturally.  That's insane.  That's freaking INSANE.  Yeah, women have done it for thousands of years... but we don't have to any more!  And the outcome is pretty much the same. We've got a "magic pill" now that is remarkably safe for mother and baby. Side effects so incredibly, infinitesimally small that not taking it is almost ridiculous. But I want to do it.

But can I?  With that "magic pill" sitting right there within my reach the whole time... just knowing that there is a door out might make the struggle harder... I don't know...

Strong is what you have left when you've used up all your weak.

I'm pumping myself up for game day.

This is my Intense Face.

Focused,
The KawaMama

PS If taking the door out is the right thing for me & my husband, I'm going to take it... and if you judge me or think less of me, so help me God, I will show you what else Strong is good for! =) This is my other Intense Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment