Friday, January 25, 2013

The Great Wallet Change

I preface this post by saying.... all photos were taken with my iPhone... Quality = Woomp wooomp.

With that being said.... this is my Old Wallet.


I unpacked it today to officially transition into my New Wallet... given to me as a Christmas present by my mother. (This, by the way, made my husband very sad because he wanted to give me a leather wallet for our 3rd year anniversary. The Leather year. Very clever, Dear Husband. It's the thought that counts.)

Whilst unpacking I found....


The lottery ticket that my dear Brother-in-Law-Kawa bought for us on the eve of our wedding. Everyone in the family got one... just to celebrate the special occasion. Look at the ticket price: $325 million. At the time I think it was a record. Which has since been broken.

I also found this flimsy oft-folded and unfolded piece of paper.


When I was in high school I was bitterly unsatisfied with the trite and often gratuitously dramatic antics of my parent's Pentecostal church. (Which is not in any way a statement on my views of the activity of the Holy Spirit, contemporary worship or the Christian faith in general.)  I found solace for my searching soul in the Catholic Church.  My dear Token Catholic Friend allowed herself to be hammered with a zillion apologetic questions that she bravely attempted to answer without reproach. I was enchanted with the Rosary as a tool for meditation, but---true to my protestant up-bringing---I was uncomfortable with the focus on and veneration of Mary.  My friend supplied me with "The Divine Mercy Chaplet" --- which can loosely be described as a Rosary meditation dedicated to Jesus.  I prayed it faithfully.

The concluding prayer of the chaplet has always been deeply touching to me... so I thought I'd share it...

"Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase your mercy in us that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent but with great confidence submit ourselves to your holy will, which is love and mercy itself."

I mean... wow...

And that concludes the emptying of my wallet. Now join me in welcoming my New Wallet to the stage...


Not to steal New Wallet's thunder... but I had Old Wallet since I was 13 years old. This is like the end of an era. I'm really sad to see it go... I can't bring myself to throw it away... so it's just sitting on the counter like a corpse at a viewing.

Maybe I'll have to say a prayer over it as I send it on to Valhalla.

Cheers,
TheKawaMama

1 comment:

  1. Could that be an unclaimed winning Lottery ticket??? hmmmm.....I'm told BMW's come equipped with Leather seats;)

    ReplyDelete